Tuesday 15 June 2010

Practice makes perfect

With the Club Championship nearing I thought I'd better put in a couple of shifts at the practice range. After trawling through the archives on the PPGS blog trying to find a solution to my hook/blocked left shots, I came across a couple of posts that really hit home. The Peak Performance Golf swing is all about the 3/4 limited turn, this means only turning to the toe line then lifting the club vertically up. What I found I was doing was overturning (crossing into the sacred burial ground, PPGSers know what I mean), this was causing my over the top swing and the results were a mixture of blocks, draws to power draws (I don't like to say hook ha ha). Getting back to basics and only turning to the toe line felt much better, I just didn't realise that I was trying to get more from my shots by more turn which goes against all the PPGS is about. Another habit I noticed I had was to grip the club in far to strong a grip, this means my left/forward hand was turned too much to the right which when my club was coming into impact was forcing me to overturn/over release and as a result the big power draw. I have been practicing the swing and grip at home in the garden and it all feels good.
I'll be down to the range tonight to get to grips (pun intended) with the basics of the PPGS and stop being sloppy. Hopefully I should have some video footage of my swing and report on how the session went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Bird Gadget